Friday, January 16, 2009

A Change is Gonna Come

Image taken at Atlanta Botanical Garden by Robbie, April 2007.

Twenty years ago today, I was in Washington, DC, for the inauguration of George H.W. Bush. My college band was a national representative in the parade, or I never would have been able to go—or wanted to, really, since I wasn't much of a political maven in those days. It was the Bicentennal Inaugural, 200 years since George Washington was sworn in as our first president under the new Constitution. Think of all we've learned since 1789!

I'll be watching the Inauguration today at my desk at work, via the CNN feed provided by my employer. No matter your opinion of the policy positions held by our new president, it's impossible to deny the importance of this event. For the first time in our 220-year history, our president will not be a white man. All of us who don't fit into that mold suddenly find that glass ceiling over our heads crumbling to dust.

On a subject much less historic but still personally notable, I start graduate school today. My textbooks are waiting for me in the leasing office of my apartment complex, and I've just downloaded the syllabus from Blackboard. I'm nervous but excited, on a much smaller scale like the Obamas feel today, I imagine.

It's a chance for a new beginning for all of us, and I hope we'll embrace it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay grad school! Congratulations! What will your degree be in? Good luck!

Shannon Noelle said...

I'm working on a graduate certificate in public health with a concentration in emergency preparedness. It's basically half a master's degree, and if I want to, I can then continue on to get the master's. The good thing about this program is that I don't have to take the GRE (yet). :)