Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Summer Nights (and days)

Once again I've fallen down on the blogging. No real reason, except that it's a lot easier to update Twitter in less than 140 characters than write an actual blog post. :)

Since my last post, I've had a few things happen:

1. Ran/walked my first 5K on June 13, at the Watermelon Festival in Cordele, Georgia. My sister and I ended up walking most of the course, and we finished last, but we FINISHED, and that's what matters. My unofficial time was 52:20. Something to work on bringing down.

2. I've had a terrible cold most of the month that I'm still recovering from. Part of the reason I couldn't run more during the 5K was that I was in the midst of the cold. It's still lingering weeks later, with some sneezing, stuffiness, and a scratchy throat. Summer colds are the pits. I've been off running for a couple of weeks but plan to get back on the training schedule next week.

3. My parents moved into their new (rental) house in early June. I wasn't able to be there because the move date had to be switched, but I was there for the aftermath and some unpacking. I've been back one more weekend since then and will be back again this weekend. Progress is being made! :)

4. My great-uncle Hardy died last week, and the funeral was this past weekend. He had Alzheimer's and had been in a nursing home for years, so it really felt like he left us long ago, but it was still difficult. Always good to see the family, but it's too often been for sad occasions recently, our third family funeral since last fall. At least this weekend it'll be for a celebration, since we have a family cookout for the Fourth of July every year. The watermelon goes in the pool to chill!

5. On a happier note, I had a great dinner with several old college friends a few weeks ago, and we're planning to get together again soon. Two of them I hadn't seen in nearly 20 years, but we picked right back up where we left off. I'm back in touch with several other college friends, too. I have Facebook to thank for finding them all again!

No comments: