Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another Auld Lang Syne

Photograph from the Art Institute of Chicago by Kudzu Planet.

Like most of you probably do, I get introspective and contemplative at the start of each new year. I'm not one for making big lists of resolutions and trying to change my life every January, but it's a good time to take a look around and change things that just aren't working. That can mean getting rid of things, or it can mean filling in gaps.

My sister and I spent the past few days doing that with our apartment, and it's refreshing to look around and see only things that we choose to see: no boxes, no clutter. At the same time, I picked out some things I'm not using at home that will go to my office, to make it feel more comfortable and more like my own space.

Unfortunately, weeding out bad habits is much more difficult than making cosmetic changes to your living environment. It's even harder to remember that every day is a blank slate and a chance to try again. January may be a convenient tipping point, but in reality, a new year, with all its promises, starts every morning. Wake up and smell more than just the coffee!

No comments: