Monday, December 7, 2009

Charity December: Susan G. Komen for the Cure

Each day during December, I'll be featuring a charitable organization that I support. These are my personal choices and reflect nothing other than that.

Seven years ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully, it was caught very early, and she's been cancer-free for over six years now. There are many breast cancer charities that do great work, but today I'm featuring Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Founded in 1982 and best known for the annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure series of 5K/fitness runs, the organization is "the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists" (from their web site). The foundation raises funds to support research into finding a cure and raises awareness about prevention and treatment options.

No comments: